SpamBox

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

SpamBox

Udo Hortian
Dear Gordon, dear list,

first I would like to thank the vexim developers for their work and
Gordon for the great job to create exim4u.

I have a question concerning SpamBox. It seems that the functionality is
not very well documented. I would like to know what happens if I
activate the Spam Box. I guess that mails that are identified as Spam
are stored in this SpamBox. What is the score for this? And are these
Mails still taged as Spam or is the tagging replaced by the move to the
Spam folder?

Personally I would like to achieve a situation such that mails with
score higher than a given value are stored in the Spam folder and all
others in the normal inbox. I do not want tagging at all. Is this
possible?

I would appreciate if this could be added to the documentation.

Kind regards,
Udo


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SpamBox

gldickens3
Administrator
On 10/17/2010 05:11 PM, Udo Hortian wrote:

> I have a question concerning SpamBox. It seems that the functionality is
> not very well documented. I would like to know what happens if I
> activate the Spam Box. I guess that mails that are identified as Spam
> are stored in this SpamBox. What is the score for this? And are these
> Mails still taged as Spam or is the tagging replaced by the move to the
> Spam folder?

Hi Udo,

The Spambox is simply the server's spam folder.  Mail with a spam score
that is between each user's specified tag score and discard score are
stored in this folder. More documentation on Exim4U's spam handling is
included in etc/exim/exim4u_global_spam_virus.

The spam folders are accessable by all IMAP users, however, POP users do
not automatically have access to their spam folders.  The concept of the
Spambox is designed primarily for POP users.  That is, it provides a
mechanism for POP users to be aware of what is in their spam folders on
the server. There are two Spambox scripts which provide functionality
and information about each user's spam folder on the server.  The
reports are:

xtrasw/spam_box_report/spamreport
xtrasw/spam_box_delete/spamdel

The spamreport script provides each user a daily report of the contents
of their spam folder which can be quite useful for POP users that do not
otherwise have access to their server side spam folders. The spamreport
also includes a link to webmail for accessing each user's server side
spam folder. Whereas the spamdel script deletes all mail in each user's
spambox (server spam folder) that is over a certain number of days old
(default is 10 days) and also reports summary statistics for all users'
spam folders to the mail server's system administrator.  This is useful
since POP users would otherwise not ever check their spam folders and so
the server's spam folders could grow forever otherwise.

>
> Personally I would like to achieve a situation such that mails with
> score higher than a given value are stored in the Spam folder and all
> others in the normal inbox.

That is exactly the purpose of the Spambox.

> I do not want tagging at all. Is this
> possible?

If you do not want to tag the mail in your spam folders then edit
etc/exim.conf and, in the "headers_add" statements, remove all
occurances of "Subject: [SPAMTAGTEXT] $h_Subject:\n".  There are three
(3) instances to be removed.

>
> I would appreciate if this could be added to the documentation.
>

Thanks for the recommendation.  Please amend the documentation (or at
least provide an outline of your recommended changes) and forward your
revisions on to me for inclusion and I will incorporate them into the
documentation.

Thanks,

Gordon


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SpamBox

gldickens3
Administrator
Hi Udo,

Oops!  I goofed when I wrote the following:

 > If you do not want to tag the mail in your spam folders then edit
 > etc/exim.conf and, in the "headers_add" statements, remove all
 > occurances of "Subject: [SPAMTAGTEXT] $h_Subject:\n".  There are three
 > (3) instances to be removed.

That will not work. Sorry! You should only remove "[SPAMTAGTEXT]" in the
headers_add statements in exim.conf. The above paragraph in my prior
email should read as follows instead:

If you do not want to tag the mail in your spam folders then edit
etc/exim.conf and, in the "headers_add" statements, remove all
occurances of "[SPAMTAGTEXT]".  There are three
(3) instances to be removed.

FYI,

Gordon



On 10/17/2010 09:36 PM, Gordon Dickens wrote:

> On 10/17/2010 05:11 PM, Udo Hortian wrote:
>
>> I have a question concerning SpamBox. It seems that the functionality is
>> not very well documented. I would like to know what happens if I
>> activate the Spam Box. I guess that mails that are identified as Spam
>> are stored in this SpamBox. What is the score for this? And are these
>> Mails still taged as Spam or is the tagging replaced by the move to the
>> Spam folder?
>
> Hi Udo,
>
> The Spambox is simply the server's spam folder.  Mail with a spam score
> that is between each user's specified tag score and discard score are
> stored in this folder. More documentation on Exim4U's spam handling is
> included in etc/exim/exim4u_global_spam_virus.
>
> The spam folders are accessable by all IMAP users, however, POP users do
> not automatically have access to their spam folders.  The concept of the
> Spambox is designed primarily for POP users.  That is, it provides a
> mechanism for POP users to be aware of what is in their spam folders on
> the server. There are two Spambox scripts which provide functionality
> and information about each user's spam folder on the server.  The
> reports are:
>
> xtrasw/spam_box_report/spamreport
> xtrasw/spam_box_delete/spamdel
>
> The spamreport script provides each user a daily report of the contents
> of their spam folder which can be quite useful for POP users that do not
> otherwise have access to their server side spam folders. The spamreport
> also includes a link to webmail for accessing each user's server side
> spam folder. Whereas the spamdel script deletes all mail in each user's
> spambox (server spam folder) that is over a certain number of days old
> (default is 10 days) and also reports summary statistics for all users'
> spam folders to the mail server's system administrator.  This is useful
> since POP users would otherwise not ever check their spam folders and so
> the server's spam folders could grow forever otherwise.
>
>>
>> Personally I would like to achieve a situation such that mails with
>> score higher than a given value are stored in the Spam folder and all
>> others in the normal inbox.
>
> That is exactly the purpose of the Spambox.
>
>> I do not want tagging at all. Is this
>> possible?
>
> If you do not want to tag the mail in your spam folders then edit
> etc/exim.conf and, in the "headers_add" statements, remove all
> occurances of "Subject: [SPAMTAGTEXT] $h_Subject:\n".  There are three
> (3) instances to be removed.
>
>>
>> I would appreciate if this could be added to the documentation.
>>
>
> Thanks for the recommendation.  Please amend the documentation (or at
> least provide an outline of your recommended changes) and forward your
> revisions on to me for inclusion and I will incorporate them into the
> documentation.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gordon
>
> _______________________________________________
> users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://exim4u.org/mailman/listinfo/users



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SpamBox

Udo Hortian
Hello Gordon,

thank you for your advise.

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 06:04:43AM -0400, Gordon Dickens wrote:

> Hi Udo,
>
> Oops!  I goofed when I wrote the following:
>
>  > If you do not want to tag the mail in your spam folders then edit
>  > etc/exim.conf and, in the "headers_add" statements, remove all
>  > occurances of "Subject: [SPAMTAGTEXT] $h_Subject:\n".  There are three
>  > (3) instances to be removed.
>
> That will not work. Sorry! You should only remove "[SPAMTAGTEXT]" in the
> headers_add statements in exim.conf. The above paragraph in my prior
> email should read as follows instead:
>
> If you do not want to tag the mail in your spam folders then edit
> etc/exim.conf and, in the "headers_add" statements, remove all
> occurances of "[SPAMTAGTEXT]".  There are three
> (3) instances to be removed.
If I understand correctly, this would disable tagging totally.
What I want in fact is that the tag is added to the Subject if the mail
is stored in the Inbox, but that it is not added if it is stored in the
SpamBox (this already makes the user know that it is spam, so IMHO no
tagging is necessary in this case).

I would like to propose two little change to exim4u:

If one would store the value "[SPAM]" (or "[BULK]" or whatever) in the
variable SpamTagText, then one could easily disable tagging by just
setting this variable to the empty string. Is not it? I am not an expert
on exim, but I guess this should be possible. It would just mean to
change the lines you mentioned above to "Subject: SPAMTAGTEXT
$h_Subject:\n" instead of "Subject: [SPAMTAGTEXT] $h_Subject:\n" and to
make the corresponding change in /etc/exim/exim4u_global_spam_virus,
right? I think this would easily allow people to disable tagging.

To achieve the goal I mentioned above (no tagging for mails stored in
SpamBox, but tagging for those stored in the inbox) one may introduce a
second variable similar to SpamTagText. Maybe one could use the
following two instead: SpamTagTextInbox and SpamTagTextSpambox and use
them in the routers virtual_domains and virtual_spam_boxes respectively.
If I understand correctly, something like this should do the job, right?

I would be interested in your opinion on this.

Best regards,
Udo